So you just got back from a fantabulous holiday and have a series of photos dying for you to press the Share button on your Instagram. Or you’re in the midst of a vacation and can’t wait to share your best photo for the day. Or you’re just in the generous mood to share what you’ve done in your latest holiday adventure with those planning to head to the same destination.
You spend an hour picking the perfect photo, choosing the right filter, adjusting the colour temperature, getting the alignment straight to a T, composed a suitable caption…
… and just before you share your latest work of art, you’re stumped. You want more people and brands beyond your Followers list to discover and potentially Repost your photo, and the only way to get noticed is by:
- adding a Geotag location;
- tagging the relevant Instagram profile(s), and of course;
- finding the right hashtags
The search for hashtags would probably take another 0.5 hours or so. By the time you’re done going through the tedious research of finding hashtags, you’ve probably fallen asleep with the phone in your hand. Oops. So the next time you wake up: you either, post without the maximum engagement your photos deserve, or let it go unpublished.
But in today’s world where much of the digital communications is fragmented (no thanks to the evil algorithms of social media), it would feel disappointing if you posted something without maximum exposure to your followers or the people you want to talk to without using relevant hashtags.
Well, what if I told you that I’ve done some homework in the travel/holiday hashtag department for you and all you need to do is save these #s on a note-taking app? You may ask:
Why would you do that?
Earlier this year, I began this obsession of collecting and compiling hashtags on the Notes section of my laptop, which are seamlessly updated through my other devices as well. I’ve copied and pasted some of these hashtags on conversations exchanged with friends, and since they have found them useful, why not share them with you as well?
Great, gimme some of those hashtags!
- #passionpassport by @passionpassport — Not only is Passion Passport passionate about telling travel stories, they also have weekly Instagram challenges which I recommend you stay on the lookout for and participate in!
- #thediscoverer by @thedscvrr — Launched a couple of months ago, The Discoverer is a relatively new community in the travel scene. Nevertheless, they’re constantly on the lookout to curate travel photos across the world suitable to their aesthetic. Tip: you, the discoverer, must be featured in the photo.
- #mapsandmuses by @mapsandmuses — Michelle, the face behind Maps and Muses, features travel photos every Monday. If budget traveling and travel styling is your kinda thing, then this hashtag is for you! Use it to elevate engagement on your travel life hacks or #OOTDs!
- #beautifuldestinations by @beautifuldestinations — Understanding the consumer behaviour of turning to Instagram for travel inspiration, Beautiful Destinations has the biggest travel communities on social media. Watch their YouTube videos as well to further satiate your wanderlust!
- #mytinyatlas by @tinyatlasquarterly — A quarterly magazine, Tiny Atlas Quarterly focuses on photography-driven travel and lifestyle and a community that breathes life into personal travel. It’s also a cute hashtag to use because it reminds you that while the world is large in size, it actually is pretty tiny (especially when you come to a realisation that all of your friends somehow know each other through a few degrees of separation).
- #seemycity by @seemycity — If you’re looking for a hashtag that hits closer to home or choose to be a tourist in your own city, this one’s for you! :) They are highly focused on mobile photography, reminding us that the best camera is the one you have with you. Apart from their default hashtag, they periodically encourage people to use a specific hashtag which they will choose and feature on their blog.
- #thattravelblog by @thattravelblog — Behind the screens of That Travel Blog is Dave Weatherall, an entrepreneur that helps people who are trying to get their foot in the door of the travel blogging realm. He regularly picks out photos to be featured on @thattravelblog’s Instagram feed!
- #worldnomads by @worldnomads — Not only do they offer travel insurance, there are also useful travel guides as well as a platform to share your stories to other readers.
- #insidertravel by @insidertravel — A complete opposite of the Business Insider, Insider displays the adventurous side of life. Travel is one of their lifestyle verticals and they have a dedicated profile just for it. Not only does the feed feature pictures of beautiful destinations, they also include local cuisines from around the world.
- #travelstoke by Matador Network — Travelstoke is actually a social app by Matador Network, but since then people have been using the hashtag to feature their travel photos. After all, travel leaves us feeling stoked, amirite?
I hope you found these hashtags useful! Let me know if you’ve observed any differences in engagement for your Instagram content after using these hashtags. Even if you’ve seen and used these hashtags before, I hope you enjoyed exploring how passionate people are towards content creation surrounding travel.
Also, bear in mind that these hashtags are by no means definitive when it comes to maximum engagement. Social media is fluid and ever-changing so what might work now might not work in a few weeks/months. Feel free to switch the hashtags with your own arsenal of hashtags every now and then!
I will be sharing more travel hashtags in the near future, so stay tuned!